Access free student support here.


How do I apply to study in Queensland?

You can apply to study in Queensland by either contacting the institution directly or by visiting a qualified education agent.  To locate a qualified education agent near you, please visit this website


Do I need a visa to study in Queensland?

In most cases you will need a visa to study in Queensland. For more information on visas visit the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.


Are there any scholarships available to study in Queensland?

Yes, there are some scholarships available for international students to study in Queensland.

As a dynamic state that invests heavily in research and development, most of these scholarships are offered for postgraduate study at universities. The majority of international students in Queensland are not awarded scholarships; however, each university and institution in Queensland will be able to give you more information on whether they offer scholarships to international students.  Please click here to see which scholarships are available to you.


How do Queensland institutions compare internationally?

Queensland’s education and training institutions have a very strong international reputation and our qualifications are recognised globally.

To see how Queensland research compares to international standards, please visit the Excellence in Research Australia website.


Can I work in Queensland while I am studying?

International students in Australia who hold a student visa can apply for permission to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during their course and full-time during the vacation period.

Under the Post-Study Work stream, successful applicants are granted a visa of two, three or four years duration, depending on the highest educational qualification they have obtained.

All Working Holiday Makers may work for the full duration of their 12 month stay in Australia, but may not remain with any one employer for longer than six moths.  They are entitled to study for a period of up to four months.

You cannot work on a tourist visa in Australia.

To find out how to apply for permission to work, please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

For information on working in Queensland, visit the Work section of this website.


What is the weather like in Queensland?

Queensland covers a very large geographic area. It has a land mass nearly six times the size of the United Kingdom, five times the size of Japan and the same size as the state of Texas.

The climate and environment vary from location to location in Queensland, but as an international student in Queensland you will almost always find sunshine and warm weather, wherever you are.

Like other states, Queensland does experience rare weather events such as floods and cyclones. However, Queensland is known as Australia’s Sunshine State – our cities and coastal areas are located in sub-tropical and tropical areas, and our central regions offer the most spectacular natural attractions and diverse climates.

Located in the Southern Hemisphere, Queensland’s summer starts in December and ends in June. The average temperatures in Queensland range from 25°C (77°F) in summer and 15°C (59°F) in winter.


Where can I find more information about studying in Queensland?

Please visit an education agent near you or contact the Queensland institution directly.


How can I find the right course for me?

Use the course finder to find the course or institution you are looking for. The course finder lets you search by course, institution or area of study.


How much does it cost to live and study in Queensland?

Queensland offers international students great value for money – we have a very high standard of living and our institutions offer world class education and training.

Tuition fees will vary depending on the course or institution and your living costs will depend on your location, course and lifestyle. Most international students have a budget of $20,000 – $25,000 per year for living and study costs in Queensland. You will find out how much money you need to show in order to qualify for a student visa from the link on this website.


What is vocational education and training?

Technical and vocational education and training in Queensland provides valuable and practical career skills in the areas of business studies, marketing, tourism and hospitality, design and computing, among other areas.

In your country, this type of training may be referred to as technical training or technical courses.

A good example of vocational education and training is a one-year diploma course that is offered at a Queensland government institution called TAFE (Technical and Further Education).

Many vocational education and training institutions will offer you the opportunity to progress to university studies or other higher level qualifications once you have completed your initial course of study or training. You will often receive credit and recognition for the study you have already completed.

For more information on what vocational education and training can offer you, visit the Study options section of this website.

To search for a vocational education or training course in Queensland, use the course finder.


What level of English do I need to study in Queensland?

The level of English language proficiency you need will depend on the course you plan to study in Queensland.

If you plan to improve your English in Queensland, our institutions offer courses for beginners through to advanced level learners and customised courses for professionals and English language teachers who seek professional development.

If you want to study at university or at a vocational education and training institution in Queensland, you will need to have a reasonably high level of English language proficiency.

The Australian Government also has specific English language requirements which must be satisfied in order to apply for a student visa.

Your institution can give you further information on the level of English required and whether you will need to undertake a proficiency examination such as IELTS or TOEFL.

For more information on the English language levels needed to apply for a student visa in your country, please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.


Can I combine my study with a professional internship with a Queensland company?

Yes, you can combine your study with a professional internship with a Queensland company.

Many international students are required to complete an international internship as part of their studies in their home country. There are a number of organisations in Queensland that will place students in an unpaid professional internship position with a company or government organisation in Queensland.


Does Queensland have any special services for international students?

Yes. Queensland’s education and training institutions offer high quality support services for international students ranging from airport pickup to assistance in finding accommodation and counselling and English language support services.

Queensland education and training providers are internationally renowned for the services they provide to international students. For more information, contact your education or training institution and ask them about the specific services they provide.


Why do I have to maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance?

All primary student visa holders have a mandatory visa condition (8202) imposed on their student visa which states: You must maintain satisfactory attendance in your course and course progress for each study period as required by your education provider.

For further information please visit

Access free student support here.